President Trump’s Office of Management and Budget (OMB) released: America First: A Budget Blueprint to Make America Great Again. The Budget Blueprint provides an overview of the President’s budget priorities for fiscal year 2018.
With respect to education, the Budget Blueprint proposes $59 billion in funding for the U.S. Department of Education (ED). This would represent, a $9 billion (or 13%) reduction from the current funding level.
Some of more specific proposals in the President’s Budget Blueprint that would impact colleges and universities include the following:
- Eliminating the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant program;
- Reducing the Federal Work-Study program significantly;
- Maintaining level funding for Pell Grants;
- Cancelling $3.9 billion in unobligated carryover funding in the Pell Grant Program; and
- Maintaining $492 million in funding to support Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority-Serving Institutions.